Thursday, October 28, 2010

Quotes

My friend gave me a journal before I left that has verses, quotes, etc. regarding serving the Lord among the nations. There have been several that I've put a star next to because I need to constantly be reminded of the message they communicate. Here are some of them:

"M is the overflow of our delight in God because m is the overflow of God's delight in being God." - John Piper

"Christ is best served by people who have a passion for Him. Nothing short of passion will do...Can He now ignite a fire in you and me so that we, in turn, will share it with others, and...win the world?"

"For Christ's love compels us...And he died for all, that those who lie should no longer live for themselves but for him who died for them and was raised again." --2 Cor 5:14-15

"Make your relationship with Jesus your number one priority. Develop a hunger for God's Word. Know it deeply and study it daily. Spend time just being with God through His Word."

"A person who can pray is the mightiest instrument Christ has in this world." --E.M. Bounds

"You will be able to combat lies of the enemy when you have God's Word hidden in your heart. This is key to fighting the good fight and keeping the faith."

"Develop a flexible attitude, a joyful willingness to do whatever it takes...Recognize that thigns wont' always go your way. Flexibility is simply saying, 'Your will be done, Lord, not mine.'"

"Only as you embrace and appreciate the culture can you share in a culturally relevant way. Jesus identified with us, and we must do the same where we serve."

"Christ wants not nibblers of the possible, but grabbers of the impossible." --C.T. Studd

"With man this is impossible, but not with God; all things are possible with God." --Mark 10:27


Here's a quote God brought to my mind yesterday while spending time with Him. I was reading Psalm 119 and was challenged by the psalmist's desperation for God and His Word. I want that desperation in my own life. Listening to a message by John Piper the night before on that very thing and then reading Psalm 119 got my attention. What am I eager to do? What am I desperate for? I pray God changes my heart to be dissatisfied with all else but Him. Anyway, here's the quote, which I'm sure most of you are familiar with, but it's so good to be reminded of:

"Indeed, if we consider the unblushing promises of reward and the staggering nature of the rewards promised in the Gospels, it would seem that Our Lord finds our desires, not too strong, but too weak. We are half-hearted creatures, fooling about with drink and sex and ambition when infinite joy is offered us, like an ignorant child who wants to go on making mud pies in a slum because he cannot imagine what is meant by the offer of a holiday at the sea. We are far too easily pleased." --C.S. Lewis

2 comments: