![]() |
| http://stat.kompasiana.com/files/2010/02/ba_good_listener_poster.gif |
Being here has made me be way more of a listener and way less of a talker. That sounds so simple, like captain obvious. But played out in every day life is not so simple. I realized today on a motorcycle ride in the rain that this listening has been very good for me. It has been a great time to observe, watch, listen, absorb, take in, process. It has been a good exercise for me to keep my mouth shut and not give my opinion or my thoughts on every little thing. Actually, I've very much kept to myself since I've been here in terms of not blabbing what I think to others. Being silent or at least quiet has been a refreshing time for me (and most likely for those around me! lol. They'll be shocked when I do become vocal like I normally am!). It's good to learn from others, from my surroundings, from this culture. If I'm always talking, I'm not learning as much because my observation is not as strong. My selfish desire to give my input hinders my taking in what everyone else is saying and doing. God obviously knew what He was talking about when He spoke through James:
"This you know, my beloved brethren. But everyone must be quick to hear, slow to speak..." (James 1:19)
Thank you, Father, for the opportunity to become a better listener.

so need this post all the time. I'm pretty sure I share WAY too much (especially this time of year with Christmas and all). If I just kept my mouth closed I might learn something that would be worth talking about. ha
ReplyDelete