Monday, September 16, 2013

How People Change 14


A few crucial truths for me to understand (and believe) from this chapter:
  • God doesn't describe me as a withered plant but gives me grace in the desert
  • His Spirit in me is a stream of living water, making the change in roots and fruit possible
  • Christ has changed my identity-- I am already a fruit tree-- it's not something I have to work for or obtain on my own.
  • When I apologize to someone, I need to verbally ask them to forgive me, not just say sorry
  • This change is all by Christ, through Him, in Him, and for Him 

Thanks for joining me in chewing on this book! There are 2 more chapters, but they are case studies for a married couple and a church who put the truths of Scripture as laid out in this book into practice. A good read, but not really conducive for taking notes on. I pray God has challenged and encouraged and changed your mindset in the skeletal notes from this book. I'd encourage you to go out and buy it-- well worth it!! It's called How People Change by Timothy Lane and Paul Tripp.


Chapter 14: Fruit 2—New and Surprising Fruit

“Given the trials and temptations of this life, we would expect God to describe us as parched earth and withered plants. Instead, the Bible reveals an oasis of grace in the midst of the desert” (184).

In the Cave and Okay
2 Sam 14-18 when David is running from his son Absalom; cf Ps 4.

1.     He doesn’t run away from God
2.     He reminds himself of his identity as God’s child
3.     He examines his own heart
a.     “In difficulty our hearts are exposed. Trials give us an opportunity to know and guard them more effectively” (186).
4.     He worships
5.     He ministers
a.     “Even when David’s heart could be sinking and his mind racing, he is drawn to the struggle of those around him. He serves them in the best way he can: He prays for them, asking God to shine his presence on them so that they too can rest” (186).
6.     He rests

“Don’t read Psalm 4 and say, ‘This is what I should be doing, but I’m not!’ Say, ‘This is what God is doing in me too. These things are possible for me, because David’s Redeemer is my Redeemer. The God who ruled David’s heart and gave him peace in a time of torment is in my heart as well. I can make good choices, do good things, and harvest good fruit, even amid the hardest challenges of life” (187).

Streams in the Desert
John 7:37-38
Streams of living water = Holy Spirit, who produces life where there was death (187)

Gal 5:13-6:10
The living water of the Holy Spirit is what changes thorn bushes to fruit trees, not our own effort (189).

“As a child of God, I am that tree [the fruit tree that bears fruit even under scorching heat]. Its fruit is God’s gift, produced by his Spirit. I need not be satisfied with thorn bush responses. It’s not impossible to be who God says I am—a tree bearing fruit in the middle of the desert” (189).

New and Surprising Fruit
No credit to ourselves when we think or act rightly because it’s the Spirit at work in us, giving us what Christ has abundantly supplied for us (190).

Living with personal integrity:
No fear of looking in the mirror of God’s Word because we’ve already been forgiven
Abundant resources of grace from God through Christ
A growing range of emotions that reflects Christ’s whole range of emotions: “The life of faith is a stained glass window, rich with the color of many different emotions, through which the light of Christ shines” (190).

Letting the Cross shape relationships:
Matt 18:21-35
“Our anger, irritation, impatience, condemnation, bitterness, and vengeance will never produce good things in their lives (or ours). But God can produce good things in them when we are willing to incarnate his grace. We become part of what he is doing in their lives, instead of standing in the way” (191).
3 steps of asking forgiveness:
1.     I was wrong for…
2.     Please forgive me
a.     “It is not enough to say you are sorry. When we only do that, we deny people the blessing of actually granting us forgiveness” (192).
3.     I’m sorry for the pain I caused you
“Do people feel accepted and loved by [me], or criticized and judged?” (192).
“What attitudes shape my closest relationships? Christ lives in us to rescue us from ourselves, so that we can be loving and gracious with one another even though we are sinners” (193).

Things to remember:
1.     You are already a fruit tree because of what Christ has done for you
2.     Because you are united with Christ and inhabited by his Spirit, trials and temptations are opportunities to experience the power of God at work.
3.     God calls you to a new identity….and therefore, a new way of living.
4.     There is hope because Jesus is all we need

“Each morning that greets me is full of hope
Not because I am successful at what I am doing,
Or because the people near me appreciate me,
Or because circumstances are easy,
But because God is, and he is my Father.
To look at the morning any other way
Is to believe a lie.
To live in hope is to live in truth;
To live in truth is to bring him glory;
To bring God glory in my daily living
Is the highest form or worship” (195).

No comments:

Post a Comment