Monday, September 16, 2013

How People Change 9

So I haven't posted my notes to the last half of the book because, well, it's just been too convicting, and I'd rather not be honest with you about the filth that God continues to show me in my life. But, I suppose for the one or two of you that read this, I shouldn't leave you hanging and not finish out the book.

As I look over these notes again, I'm encouraged that God revealing the thorns in my life is His act of grace to me. It's painful. It's hard. It's discouraging. But that should make me even more thankful for Christ who is my righteousness and my hope and who is determined to finish what He began in me, not for my own benefit but for His glory as He sanctifies me as part of His bride. Lord, give me grace to believe in your grace in this process, and humble me to admit my failures and leave my sin at the foot of the cross where Christ is sufficient to take it on Himself and to clothe me in His righteousness instead.



Chapter 9: Thorns 1—What Entangles You

“It is easy to give way to thoughts, emotions, and desires that should no longer rule us, and easy to be more defined by our problems than by the grace of Christ” (117).

Thorn bush = our sinful responses to life’s circumstances.

We bend and twist the truth.
We manipulate others to get what we want.
We attempt to get our identity from other people or our performance.
We curse one another with silence or rejection.

“…facing the way we are like a Thorn bush is one of God’s chief ways of transforming us into Fruit trees” (118).

God’s Call to Discontent
“As Christians, [we] are far too easily satisfied. God calls you to be dissatisfied. You should be discontent, restless, and hungry! The Christian life is a state of thankful discontent or joyful dissatisfaction” (119). Reminds me of that CS Lewis quote about us being far too easily satisfied.

“This life of self-examination and joyful discontent should not be confused with a life of paralyzing self-condemnation [can you spell ME?!]. Goes does not call us to self-loathing, but to a willingness to examine our lives in light of our hope as new creatures in Christ. That hope is not only based on the promise of forgiveness, but on his promise of personal deliverance and restoration as well” (119).

Heb 4:14-5:10

What is my hope?
1.     God is not surprised by my struggle.
2.     The Bible is for people just like you and me.
3.     Christ enters into my struggle.
4.     Christ will help.
5.     Christ pleads my case to the Father.
6.     I can come to God with confidence.

“Real hope is not rooted in my performance, my maturity, my theological knowledge, or my personal perfection. It is not rooted in the quality of my character, my reputation, or my success in ministry. My hope is in Christ! He is in my life forever, looking on me with tenderness and compassion. He will progressively transform me until the job is complete. That is the hope that helps us to persevere with the Thorns in our lives” (120). I feel like that was a word just for me!

Don’t Live Like a Gentile
Eph 4:17-6:18
Spiritual war takes place in all the normal circumstances and relationships of every day life. “It is the war for our hearts. But Christ my Redeemer has already won this war by his life, death, and resurrection. I now have the right to apply that victory to my heart and life. I can come out of hiding, confess my need, and believe that there is hope and help for me. The Christian life is a war. WE cannot live with a peacetime mentality, pursuing rest, retreat, and spiritual relaxation” (123).

Getting Personal
What are your thorns?

“God calls you to humbly take a close look at yourself. He calls you to believe and act upon the gospel promises of forgiveness, restoration, wisdom, strength, deliverance, and power by acknowledging your responsibility for the Thorns in your life. Getting to the Fruit tree always starts there! The first step in planting a healthy, beautiful garden is to remove the weeds” (124).

Thorn Bush Responses
1.     Deny, avoid, escape
2.     Magnify, expand, catastrophize
a.     “We use suffering as the lens through which we view our entire world, and only see pain, loss, and want. We convince ourselves that no one has gone through what we are going through. The larger our suffering looms, the more blind we are to the blessings we enjoy every day” (124).
3.     Become prickly and hypersensitive
a.     “When we haven’t taken the Lord as our refuge, we become hypervigilant, scanning our surroundings for possible disrespect or mistreatment. We live defensively and self-protectively, always keeping our guard up” (124-5).
4.     Return evil for evil
5.     Bogged down, paralyzed, captured
6.     Self-excusing self-righteousness
a.     “There is an abundant supply of grace for every Thorn you identify in your life, so that your Thorns may be turned into sweet and beautiful Fruit!” (125).

Fruit Tree Responses
1.     Face reality
2.     Respond with proper intensity
a.     “There is always something bigger than the heartache of the moment….my relationship with God, my identity in Christ, the truths of God’s Word, and the glory of eternity all remaind secure and unchallenged [2 Cor 4:7—5:10]” (126).
3.     Be alert
4.     Engage in constructive activity
5.     Remember
a.     Remind ourselves of simplicity of God’s comfort and call
                                               i.     God comforts us with His presence and power
                                              ii.     God calls us to trust Him
                                            iii.     God calls us to obey Him & promises to bless us
                                            iv.     God provides everything in Christ that we need to obey Him
b.     “I can admit my faults with no need to minimize, hide, or give way to paralyzing guilt. I can confess that I need to grow without beating myself up. I can cry out when life is hard but accept responsibility for the way I deal with it. I don’t have to cover my sin, polish my reputation, and keep a record of my successes. I can look at my tomorrows with enthusiasm and hope. Yes, I am still a flawed person in a broken world. But my view of myself is not dark and depressed because the gospel has infused it with hope. Christ is with me and in me, and I will never be in a situation where he isn’t redemptively active. Though change is needed in many ways, I am not discouraged. I am in the middle of a work of personal transformation. This process is often painful, but always beneficial” (127).

No comments:

Post a Comment