Thursday, September 5, 2013

When You Can't Say Good Morning

I'm feeling feisty today, and so please allow me to step onto a soapbox for a few minutes.

I'd like to surmise what a new international, be it an international student, a refugee, or an immigrant, would think of Americans upon first few months of arrival. You may choose to take this with a grain of salt, since I am not an international arriving on American soil for the first time, but I have been a foreigner living in an international context, and I've been even more of a foreigner in some sense, returning back to America. So, here goes.

When you can't even say good morning to me...

It must mean that I'm not worth you getting to know.

It must mean that you think I'm less than you.

It must mean that you don't want to be my friend, especially if you can't even return a 3 syllable greeting as I pass you on the street.

It must mean that Americans are just too busy.

It must mean that all Americans care about is themselves and their schedules.

It must mean that I shouldn't try to drop by their apartment or house and expect to be welcomed in for tea or conversation.

It must mean that I'm just a bother to them.

It must mean that I'm going to have an awfully hard time finding a language partner.

I could go on and on, but you get the point. If the people I rub shoulders with on a daily basis treat internationals the same way they treat me-- not even returning a good morning greeting, for example-- than what does that communicate to these precious people?

Jesus commands us to welcome the stranger in.

God has commanded us to make disciples of all nations, and guess what? He's brought the nations to us. What are we doing with that?

Sadly, most international students spend their entire semester or year in America without ever being invited to an American's home. Do you know what an affront that is to most cultures of the world where you are constantly invited in people's homes for tea or conversation or a meal? Do you know how many missed opportunities there are to invest in these students' lives and share the gospel with them and do life with them while they're here? They will return home to unreached places of the world, and they possibly could carry Christ back with them.

But as Paul says,
how will they believe if they do not hear?

Ok, stepping off my soapbox (one of them) now.

1 comment:

  1. Feeling convicted about my pride in this post. I am no different. I haven't gone out of my way to befriend internationals since moving back to the states. I haven't shared life with them. I want to, and I need to make it a priority. Feel free to keep me accountable!

    ReplyDelete