“It’s easy in ministry to live more as a ‘pipe’ than a ‘reservoir’.
That is, it’s easy to live merely as a conduit to others of the transforming
truths of God’s Word, rather than as a changed and transformed reservoir who
overflows with lived-out gospel truth” (Taken from Cross Talk by Michael Emlet, p.8).
Honestly, lately I haven’t felt like either a pipe or a
reservoir but a hard piece of ground that the water can’t penetrate.
It’s a yucky place to be. A convicting place. A frustrating
place.
I understand the warning of this quote and I’ve experienced
the ramifications of living as a pipe and not a reservoir. When I came back to
the states from Southeast Asia, I drank up the Word like a thirsty sponge and
thoroughly enjoyed filling up that reservoir once again.
And for the first several months that I was back, I loved
being a conduit of the gospel to others while simultaneously being filled up
myself.
But something has happened in the last several months. I’m
realizing more and more how little I’m sharing the gospel with others, how
little I’m intentionally seeking opportunities and conversations in which I can
share gospel truth.
And I hate it.
While I’m not being that conduit of the gospel, I also feel
like I’m not soaking it in myself. Honestly, I look at my heart and mind and
see far more unbelief than belief.
My pastor opened his sermon this past Sunday with an
illustration showing that as we get older and see greater depths of our sin
while also seeing greater glimpses of God’s holiness, the cross and the gospel
also become greater to us. As I get older, I definitely see my sin in
increasing depths and God definitely keeps showing me greater depths of who He
is (and who I’m not), but that cross element has been missing in my thought
pattern. I have a tendency to focus on how terrible and filthy and unworthy I
am while forgetting what Christ has done.
All that to say, I don’t feel like a pipe or a reservoir
right now, but a piece of hard ground that the rain of the gospel isn’t
penetrating. God, help my unbelief and cause that rain to gently soak and
permeate and consume all of me that it may also overflow to others that I’m
with every day.
No comments:
Post a Comment