I've always wondered what this meant. There are verses scattered throughout the Bible on fearing the Lord, but what exactly does that look like?
Am I to be afraid of God? I don't know. 1 John 4 says that perfect love casts out all fear because fear involves punishment. Hmm.
But is fear just honoring and respecting God? It seems like it should have a much deeper meaning than that.
All these questions arose in my mind once again tonight as I read Ps 47. Verse 2 says, "For the Lord Most High is to be feared, a great King over all the earth." So, what does that mean? What does it look like?
Well, I used Uncle Google (you can ask how he got his name later) and found a reformed explanation on the fear of the Lord. I don't want to copy and paste this blog post, so I'm just going to copy the link. I'd encourage you to check it out if you've been at all confused on what fearing the Lord is. It's short, clear, and concise, so take 2 minutes to read it!
http://reformedreader.wordpress.com/2008/06/13/john-murray-on-the-fear-of-god/
No comments:
Post a Comment