Thursday, September 15, 2011

Living Day to Day

"...the glory of the Lord filled the tabernacle. Throughout all their journeys whenever the cloud was taken up from over the tabernacle, the sons of Israel would set out; but if the cloud was not taken up, then they did not set out until the day when it was taken up" (Exo 40:35b-37).

I never before thought about the implications of this. Israel lived on a day to day basis. When they woke up each morning, they never knew if they were staying put or setting out that day. They had to learn to be content with the Lord's presence being with them. They had to come to the point where their location didn't matter; only being with Him mattered.

I love stability. I love routine. But living the life that I live, those loves are not exactly ideal. God's bringing me to the place that He had to bring Israel to as well. I'm a slow learner, but He's being gracious in teaching me that He is my home, and that I can and should be content wherever He is. He's teaching me that my life is a blank check that's laid on His altar, that when He says, "Go," I go and when He says, "Stay," I stay. Whatever that might look like on a day to day basis. Being a follower of Jesus means just that-- following Him--whenever and wherever He sets out. He has a much bigger picture that He's going by and leading me by. And I can rest content in HIM as my home.

No comments:

Post a Comment