Thursday, March 18, 2010

Sequel to Plundering the Poor

So after reading Isaiah 3 and praying this morning, God told me to write down all the things I have but don't need. I was scared (and still am scared!) because I don't know what He's going to do with the things on that list, but I knew I had to forge ahead in obedience. Here's the list so far...

Clothes
Shoes
Books
Old computer and printer
Desk
Car
Air conditioning
Heat
TV
Internet
Electricity
Decorations (pillows, wall hangings, etc.)
Towels
Snacks
Desserts
Savings account
Music
Movies
Bike
Tennis racket
Computer
Camera
Bags, purses, etc.
Bed at my parents'
Old toys and books
Scrapbooking stuff
Flute
Washer and dryer
Microwave


Obviously some of these things are not completely mine to give away or get rid of, but so many of them are. The things I really don't want to give up on this list are my computer and car. Of course, I can live without both of these. Internet cafes are prevalent as is public transportation (and walking!), but I'm so used to convenience. In making this list, I realized how much I've bought into the American mentality of entitlement, comfort, and convenience. I've been accustomed to all of these things as needs, when in reality, they've just been staples in my life that I've gotten used to. All too comfortably. So, I'm praying that God will guide me in these next steps of obedience. I definitely am excited to go through all of my stuff and give away the superfluous things or sell them to give the money to kingdom work around the world. I'm not as excited to hear what God says about the things I want to hang onto, however. I only pray that God will strip me of the resources that are not rightfully mine, that I've selfishly taken from others around the world, in order that His name be glorified and His kingdom advanced.

No comments:

Post a Comment