Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Isaiah 1 and 2


Isaiah 1:13-20

"Bring your worthless offerings no longer, incense is an abomination to Me. New moon and sabbath, the calling of assemblies--I cannot endure iniquity and the solemn assembly. I hate your new moon festivals and your appointed feasts, they have become a burden to Me; I am weary of bearing them, so when you spread out your hands in prayer, I will hide My eyes from you; yes, even though you multiply prayers, I will not listen. Your hands are covered with blood. Wash yourselves, make yourselves clean; remove the evil of your deeds from My sight. Cease to do evil, learn to do good; seek justice, reprove the ruthless, defend the orphan, plead for the widow. 'Come now, and let us reason together,' says the Lord, 'though your sins are as scarlet, they will be as white as snow; though they are red like crimson, they will be like wool. If you consent and obey, you will eat the best of the land; but if you refuse and rebel, you will be devoured by the sword.' Truly the mouth of the Lord has spoken."

I'm just wondering if this is what God is saying to us as the American church. Our programs, one hour weekly services, feeble prayers for safety and comfort with little care about the kingdom or the suffering of others, pursuit of worldly success without offering much if any of it to God, etc. We must repent. We must be washed by the blood of the Lamb and turn from our sin. True worship that the Lord desires is to do good, seek justice, reprove the ruthless, defend the orphan, and plead for the widow. How are we doing on worshiping the Lord, church of America?




Isaiah 2:10-11

"Enter the rock and hide in the dust from the terror of the Lord and from the splendor of His majesty. The proud look of man will be abased and the loftiness of man will be humbled, and the Lord alone will be exalted in that day."

I often treat God very casually due to the intimacy He has graciously allowed me to enjoy with Him, but in that relaxed approach I forget that He is to be feared, revered, honored, respected, trembled before. I often exalt myself more than Him, honor myself more than Him, and fear the opinions of others more than Him. Those sins are all rooted in pride. So, in order to tremble before Him and worship Him as I should, I must humble myself to exalt, honor, and fear Him above myself and above others---far, far, far above. He alone is worthy.

No comments:

Post a Comment