Wednesday, November 2, 2011

God of this City



This song has meant many different things to me over the years. I've sung it on the top of Mt. Rubidoux over the city of Riverside; in St. Petersburg, Russia with an amazing group of college students, in multiple worship services scattered all over the US and the world. I've thought about it in terms of Thailand, especially Bangkok and the prostitution and trafficking that exists there, since that's how and where this song was born. I've thought about it in just about every city I've been to for any significant period of time.

Tonight, as I listened to it, I thought of 2 things. One, the flood in Thailand and the many people affected. God is the God of Thailand and the God over natural disasters. He has greater things planned for Thailand through this flood and will draw Thais to Himself through this. Satan cannot and will not have the ultimate victory because the ultimate victory has already been won on the cross! Praise God!

The second thing I thought about was in terms of my city here and now. I only have 8 weeks left here. It's hard to think about leaving, especially when we still have seen no fruit among our people. It's hard to think about leaving so many precious people whom I've become close to and lived life with. But God is the God of this city. He is the King of these people. He is the Lord of this nation. He is the only light in this darkness, the only hope for these who are hopeless. And, He has greater things still in store for this city, this people, this nation. Praise the God of the harvest! And let's be faithful to ask for the harvest here and around the world. Let us also be faithful stewards of the gospel that He's entrusted to us, not wasting one breath that He has given us to herald His truth to the nations!

No comments:

Post a Comment