I just finished this book. By no means do I want to put David Platt on a pedestal, and by no means does he want to be there, but the biblical concepts on discipleship he discusses in this book are really what following Christ is about. This is what Jesus said. And lived. And commanded. Here is my radical experiment, as suggested in this book, for the following year:
1. Pray for the entire world
How? www.operationworld.org
2. Read through the entire word of God
How? Chronoligically according to this plan: http://www.ewordtoday.com/year/49/cjun01.htm
3. Sacrifice (being the key word) my money for a specific purpose
How? Give up spending money on luxuries so I can give away a greater percentage of my income every month. More specific details to come on my money in savings--still praying about that one :)
4. Spend time in another context
How? I'm going from Riverside to Virginia to Southeast Asia in the next few months :)
5. Commit my life to a multiplying community
How? This will change several times due to my several moves in the next few months, but I want to be super more intentional about SERVING with whatever community I find myself in. Here in Riverside, making my time with friends an intentional time of serving Christ by serving this city. In Virginia, taking advantage of the amazing community I will have there to serve Christ by serving His body there as well as hopefully in the community. In Southeast Asia, joining the team there to truly be the church as Christ intended it to be---multiplying by making disciples of all nations.
As my friend said in her blog this week, there is newness in the air. This is serious discipleship. This is what it really means to follow Christ. Of course these 5 things are only scratching the surface, but I gotta start somewhere, and I'm super excited! Newness in the air. Yes, Jesus! I surrender all! I commit to following you as you defined it.
No comments:
Post a Comment