The past couple weeks, God has been showing me how depraved, filthy, sin-filled I am apart from Him. I've been reading Isaiah where God continually reminds His people of His wrath toward sin, of their need for repentance, of His unending compassion and faithfulness to them. I've also been writing out the Sermon on the Mount to slow myself down and dig a little bit deeper into the Word. Let me just say, if you have any prideful thought of how good you are (especially in comparison to THAT person), just read the Sermon on the Mount again. You don't even have to read it slowly or study it deeply to be put back into your rightful place. My conclusion: I am the scum of the earth, a speck of dust that blows quickly away, an insignificant vapor, a harlot scantily clothed in filthy rags, a grasshopper. So where is my hope? What future could I possibly dream of? What significance could I even dare to wish for? Let me tell you....
Jesus, the Son of God, humbled Himself to leave His throne, His perfect community, His Father's presence, His glorious dwelling place to come to sinful, dark, depraved, desperately sick earth. Why? To bring glory to His Father's name by ushering in redemption for His people whom He had created to worship Him. Jesus took on humanity, the sin of the world, the Father's wrath, death. For us? Yes but no. For the glory of His name first. Then we benefit from that. To realize who I really am in light of who God really is...humbling, to say the least. I don't deserve to be forgiven. I don't deserve to be in His presence other than to be condemned, yet He has extended the invitation to me to enjoy intimacy with Him. He has stripped me of my filthy rags of prostitution and clothed me in His royal robes of righteousness. Jesus has completely washed me of my sin and rid me of my guilt. What did I do to merit this kindness? Nothing. Why would He do this? Because it brings glory to His name. Yes, He loves me, but He loves His glory way more, and that is what motivates Him most of all. Thank you, Lord!
No comments:
Post a Comment