God is really challenging me with figuring out what role money plays in discipleship and His kingdom. I was raised with a hard work ethic and taught to save my money. The more and more I read Jesus' teachings on discipleship, the more I question the idea of saving. In Matthew 6, Jesus tells us not to worry about food or clothing because our Father knows what we need before we ask Him; instead, He urges us to seek first His kingdom and His righteousness, then all that we need will be given to us. In Matthew 10, Jesus instructs His disciples (whom He had JUST called, mind you) on how to explain the gospel as they go out in pairs to the surrounding cities and towns. In that instruction, He admonishes them not to take any extra food or clothes. In Matthew 19, when the rich young ruler asks Jesus what it takes to follow Him, Jesus replies, "go and sell your possessions and give to the poor, and you will have treasure in heaven; and come, follow Me" (v. 21). Speaking of treasure, Jesus warns in Matthew 6:19-20 to not store up for ourselves treasures on earth. Isn't that what we're doing when we're saving money way beyond what we need? Not only are we hoarding God's resources that He has blessed us with FOR A PURPOSE, but we are placing ourselves in a financial cushion where we don't have to trust Him to provide; we instead find our security in that extra money in the bank. I don't think that's God's design. In Luke 16, Jesus tells the story of the rich man and Lazarus. His whole life, the rich man bought whatever he wanted and indulged himself in all the pleasures this world had to offer, all the while, Lazarus sat at his gate, starving to death. Today, America is like the rich man, and most of the rest of the world is like Lazarus. Sometimes we feel a little guilty and throw the poor some scraps (or throw God some), but most of the time, we ignore the starving, malnutritioned, sick, lost people who are really just outside our gate. They have become out of sight, out of mind to us. How dare we call ourselves disciples of Christ while stuffing our faces and garages with whatever our hearts desire, while men, women, and children are dying horrible deaths from malnutrition, preventable diseases such as malaria, unclean water--and most of them, apart from Christ. How can we live with ourselves?
So back to the saving money thing. Are we supposed to save money? Or are we supposed to trust the Lord to take care of us, and as He blesses us with money we don't need, follow His lead to re-direct it to advance His kingdom? I was curious if the Bible had any verses about saving money, so I looked it up. Here is the small handful of verses I found (which I don't think really have much to do with saving at all), but here ya go...
Proverbs 21:5
The plans of the diligent lead surely to advantage, but everyone who is hasty comes surely to poverty.
Proverbs 21:20
There is precious treasure and oil in the dwelling of the wise, but a foolish man swallows it up.
Proverbs 27:12
A prudent man sees evil and hides himself, the naive proceed and pay the penalty
Proverbs 30:24-25
Four things are small on the earth, but they are exceedingly wise: The ants are not a strong people, but they prepare their food in the summer;
1 Corinthians 16:2
On the first day of every week each one of you is to put aside and save, as he may prosper, so that no collections be made when I come.

ugh I don't know. Money and God is definitely my weakness. I'm so messed up and have no stinkin clue how it works.
ReplyDeleteIt hurts to unlearn what we've been taught and then very difficult to replace it with the attitude God desires us to have towards these things....mostly because it's hard to know exactly what that looks like a lot of times...for me at least. Sorry I have no answer...just wanted very badly to say something because I can relate...
Thanks :) I wish you DID have an answer though!
ReplyDeleteI keep thinking of our time in Mexico and the fact that our needs were just met... what a great time that was. It's so hard to change our views on money and God, just like Johnny said. I feel stuck... meh!
ReplyDelete