We drove out of the city today to an elementary school. As we drove by fields of green and untouched trees, I took in the beauty of God's creation that I don't enjoy nearly enough. But as we got further and further outside of the city, the signs of poverty became increasingly more. No longer cement-walled houses, but houses pieced together with wood on stilts, standing up off the fields that at certain times of the year are flooded. From cats wandering the neighborhood city streets to cows grazing in unkept fields of grass. From kids playing in front of little markets and stores to goats lying in front of them.
| The school we went to today. Sorry, not a great picture, but you kinda get the idea. |
I took all of that in and thought a lot. But then...
I looked in the eyes of a very elderly woman, followed by a very elderly man, both walking against traffic on the uneven edge of the road covered in weeds. They weren't together, but I saw them both within seconds of each other. And it hit me.
Like it has several times in the last couple weeks as I've looked in the faces of dear elderly people.
They're about to die. And no one has told them about Jesus.
This village, where these two precious souls walked, was in an area that had no signs of believers. Granted, there's an off-chance that a believer has wandered in there a time or do, and there's a slimmer chance that that believer shared the gospel while he was there, and an even slimmer chance that anyone he shared with actually believed. But chances are decent that this woman and this man have never heard the truth about Jesus, and they will soon die-- without knowing.
Who will go to this village and tell these people about the greatest news in the whole world?
As I was working on memorizing Psalm 16 tonight, I was at verse 4a, which says, "The sorrows of those who have bartered for another god will be multiplied," when the call to prayer from the three mosques near my house sounded. Talk about a wake up call! These people are heaping sorrows on themselves by bartering their souls for another god, one who doesn't even exist. While we sit on our comfy couches, pursuing the American dream and content knowing we're going to heaven when we die.
But what about these 2 elderly people I saw today?
How can we go on living our lives without obeying the COMMAND of the Great Commission?
What will I do about getting the gospel to these two?
What will you do?
No comments:
Post a Comment