Wednesday, April 25, 2012
Grace
Over the last 8-9 months, God has been teaching me a lot about His grace. That it's...
unconditional
un-earnable (yes, I'm an English teacher)
unfathomable
incomprehensible
unending
undeserved
Those BIG words only scratch the surface of what He's teaching me about His grace, let alone of what His grace actually is!
As much as I know in my head that I cannot earn His grace or His love or His forgiveness, my heart so frequently listens to the lies of the enemy that I have to be good enough for Him to love me or that I've screwed up too badly for Him to forgive me again or that I have to do this, this, and this in order for Him to pour out His grace on me.
None of that is true.
That's what's so good about grace.
I read Psalm 51 tonight. Again. These verses caught my attention, as they have many times, but tonight, they caught my attention for a different reason than ever before:
"For You do not delight in sacrifice, otherwise I would give it; You are not pleased with burnt offering. The sacrifices of God are a broken spirit; a broken and contrite heart, O God, You will not despise" (vv.16-17).
God whispered in my ear through these verses that He does not delight in anything I can do or anything I can give (aka sacrifice, offering). What He wants is my recognition that I'm completely broken and in desperate need of Him. He wants the broken pieces of my heart and my being. He wants THAT me. The humble, broken, repentant, desperate-for-Him me. That's it.
That's good news! Cuz I don't have anything else to offer.
Praise God that He wants the broken pieces of who I am, that He may make me into a whole jar of clay to be a vessel for His glory, which shines to the world declaring who He is.
Grace is good.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment