Saturday, April 23, 2011

What If Jesus Didn't Die and Rise Again?

He brought this question to mind tonight as I read through John 18-20. I've often thought about where I'd be if He hadn't saved me, but I haven't ever given much thought to where the world would be, how drastically different history would have been and would be now, etc. Jesus truly has changed history! Here are some of my thoughts concerning what may have been different in the world if He hadn't died and risen again:

  • Nero wouldn't have had human torches in his garden
  • Apartheid and segregation might still exist in South Africa and the US
  • The US might not even exist, for sure not as a religiously free country founded by "moral" people
  • Injustice would be running even more rampant than it already is
  • Satan wouldn't have much work to do
  • The Jews would still be holding out hope for themselves but everyone else would most likely be living as those in Sodom and Gomorrah or those in Noah's day
  • Dictators would probably rule most countries
  • The world would be a very very dark place, even darker than it is now

And how might my life be different?
  • I wouldn't have a relationship with God--that'd be the hugest difference by far
  • I may have grown up in a household of drugs and abuse or something less drastic but still not of Him
  • I quite possibly would've ended up in rehab in or right after high school
  • I wouldn't be living in another country
  • I would be pursuing my own desires--marriage, comfortable house, fun job, etc.
  • I wouldn't have such amazing friends with whom I can share the depths of my heart
  • My relationships with my extended family would still be broken
  • I would be harboring a lot of anger, bitterness, and unforgiveness
  • I would be living in complete and total darkness with no way out
Sadly, those all around me live like Jesus didn't die and rise again. Sadly, their lives reflect much of what I just described above. Only they don't realize it. Because they haven't seen the contrast--they haven't seen what life is like to have a relationship with God, to serve a risen King.

Jesus, this Resurrection Day, may I celebrate you, your sacrifice, your power over the grave, your life that you've given to me. May I praise you for all that you've done to change history and to change my life. And may this celebration and praise spur me on to share the good news with those all around me who have yet to experience the hope there is in knowing and believing that you did in fact die and rise again.

No comments:

Post a Comment