Friday, September 10, 2010

Being a Learner



Being a learner is something that has been emphasized to us again and again the last 7 weeks. According to StrengthsQuest, being a learner is one of my strengths. However, I often find myself trying to assert myself as a knower, sometimes when I don't really know what I'm talking about. I try to be a knower when I am worried about what other people might think of me, which is the root of a lot of my struggles, unfortunately. I realized yesterday that this must be a main pr*r of mine--that I'll be a learner, not a knower.

Learners listen, ask questions, and earn respect of those they're with. Learners build relationships of mutual trust and understanding that result in both parties being able to learn. Learners make people feel important. They assume that they don't know. Learners learn from their new culture rather than bringing their old one to the table. Learners make it long-term on the field much more frrequently than knowers.

Father, that is my desire. Make me more and more of a learner and less and less of a knower each day.

2 comments: