Sunday, August 1, 2010

Dorothy, you're not in Kansas anymore...

This is just for a bit of laughter on whoever reads this that has an appreciation of California and of the south. You know you’re in the south when…
• The dryer is called a tumbler

• A drought consists of green grass, blooming flowers, and 3 rainstorms in a week

• The word “sun” out of my mouth is mistaken for the word “sign” by my southern friend

• Bugs in the trees are louder than anything else around (I think they’re called cicadas??)

• Running at 6 in the morning (without the sun, mind you) is still a very warm, wet experience

• Toilet paper is known as toilet tissue

• Y’all can refer to as few as 2 people

• You find your speech taking on a drawl that you did not intend at all

• 50 is an acceptable speed on the freeway

• You have to explain what places like Trader Joes is , while you’re laughed at for not knowing what Captain D’s is



I know there are more “cultural difference” moments that I’ve had this last week, but these are what I can think of right now, so I hope you got a laugh or two out of them because I (and others around me) have been laughing our heads off at me!

4 comments:

  1. LOVE this post!

    and you, of course!

    ReplyDelete
  2. so... what is Captain D's? and I think Trader Joes isn't there because of the whole alcohol in stores issue (I'm told that most places south and east you have to buy your alcohol from liquor stores) and sense half of trader joes is alcohol it makes it not worth it for them to have chains there. Funny the differences in the same country, isn't it. Hope you're having fun!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes it is! Captain D's is apparently like Long John Silvers.

    ReplyDelete
  4. y'all can actually refer to as few as 1 person in a true redneck's vocabulary (which I am not).

    ReplyDelete