Today's sermon was on surrender. The third step to freedom: We make a conscious decision to turn our will and lives over to the care of God as we understand God.
Not gonna lie, I had a problem with the phrase, "as we understand God," until my pastor explained it. At the end of Job, God puts Job in his place for a few chapters, asking him who he thinks he is. After that uncomfortable lecture, Job responds with these words: "'I will ask You, and You instruct me. I have heard of You by the hearing of the ear; but now my eye sees You; therefore I retract, and I repent in dust and ashes'" (Job 42:4b-6). Before this encounter with God, Job felt like he had only heard of Him, but afterward, he felt like he had seen God...his understanding of God got bigger, and therefore his surrender to God could be deeper.
Some other passages we looked at today...
John 1:35-51
The men who became Jesus' disciples called him Rabbi when they first met him and asked if they could follow him. In that culture, that meant that they acknowledged Him as a very respectable teacher and that they acknowledged themselves as having nothing and needing to learn life from Him. Humility. Before a stranger. Trust. In the midst of blindness. They had no idea what the future held for them. All they knew is that they believed this guy was the long-awaited Messiah. How much more should I trust? How much more should I humbly acknowledge my inadequacy and Christ's adequacy? How much more should I follow Him into the future? I KNOW who He is. I KNOW Him. Unlike these men at this point in their lives. Do I accept Jesus as my Rabbi? Do I trust Him as my Leader? Do I believe Him as my Messiah?
Acts 9
Surrender may take me out of my comfort zone. It may take me into suffering. But Paul's conclusion after his surrender-- Phil. 3:7-8 (and longer if you like!). The things I feel entitled to, the things I want but don't need--they're all going to fade away. They don't matter in light of eternity. Knowing Jesus is so much better than going out to eat and blowing $20 or having a good reputation or enjoying the comforts of America or... Surrender is worth it. Paul said in Phil. 1:29, "For to you it has been granted for Christ's sake, not only to believe in Him, but also to suffer for His sake."
Jonah
So much of the time, I want to preach God's condemnation to the church in America, much like Jonah wanted to do to the Ninevites. But God had other plans for Jonah (and probably for me too). In those plans, He showed Jonah who He was, the people on the boat who He was, the Ninevites who He was. He expanded all of their views/understandings of Him and led many to repentance (including Jonah, although not for the first time). He humbled Jonah to see that He loves and desires ALL to come to repentance, not just Israel. He showed him that His love and compassion extends even to the worst sinner (in our eyes). God, surrender to you means doing things your way and in your timing, even if our way sounds better, makes more sense, seems more in line with your character, etc.
I expect life to be what I want it to be. Let that statement sink in. That's what Job thought. That's what I think. Can't be my perspective as a surrendered follower of Christ.
"Moving into surrender is going to mean accepting the world as seen by God." --Leo Tolstoy
Beyond adjustment to actual CHANGE.
Surrender is not compartmentalized. It's all or nothing.
God, take all of me. I surrender.

No comments:
Post a Comment