Sunday, April 11, 2010

Raw Processing

For those of you who know me, I don't process well immediately after something has occurred that needs to be processed. My friend likes to make fun of me for being such a thinker, but I can't help it. So, take that as fair warning because I don't know what's going to end up on this blog post seeing as what I am going to process only ended 2 short hours ago.

Today we focused on poverty, world hunger, orphans, etc. around the world in our time together this morning and this evening as a body. This morning we saw videos of children having their basic needs met. We heard a sermon that challenged us on our spending habits in America and how so little can go so far in another country...literally to save a child's life. And impact who knows how many people as a ripple effect. Did you know that it would take $30 billion to end world hunger? And did you know that America and Europe combined spend $31 billion on ice cream EVERY YEAR?! Makes me sick. But I can't pass the blame. I love ice cream. I am part of the problem, or at least part of the lack of solution. Did you know that the world produces enough food for everyone to have enough? Did you know that the top 15% of the world income-wise (if you make $9000 or more a year, you fall in this category), consumes 70% of the grain, mostly due to grain-fed meat? Sickening. If you wouldn't have become a vegetarian before, this certainly would give you a good reason to become one.

Tonight we had a poverty dinner. Ask me later what that is because I don't feel like explaining it right now. We heard a drum beat every 6 seconds while we ate, each beat signifying a child dying of hunger. At the end of 23 minutes (which is how long it took us to scarf our food), 230 children died of hunger. Following the dinner, we debriefed, including what we could do about this problem. We brainstormed individual and collective responses.

My goal for today was to see hearts softened, eyes opened, and change effected. I think that happened. Praise the Father! I've been asking Him before, during, and after today what He wants me to do about it. Do I give the money I normally spend on extras (like ice cream) to organizations like World Vision so malnutrioned children can eat, communities can become self-sustaining, wells for clean drinking water can be drilled, and most importantly, the good news can be proclaimed? Do I sponsor another child? Do I research and commit to buy only fair trade items so those who work in sweat shops and in trafficking situations receive just wages? What exactly am I supposed to do about these realities?

Something to chew on...

2 comments:

  1. dude... yeah, totally part of the problem. You should read Jesus for President. It talk a lot about the implications of what we buy and how we live (down to the parts of the car and where they are made, and for what kind of wages).

    One thing about being a vegetarian, though, is that there is not enough plants to feed the whole world (which is why we eat meat). We mostly eat venison, fish, and chicken, however and I think they're a lot more sustainable than pork, and beef.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good point on the vegetarian thing. thanks :)

    ReplyDelete