I've written multiple blogs in my head the last few months, but obviously, none of them have gotten from my head to the computer. Sorry bout that!
As the election approaches, I've been thinking more and more about what the biblical way of looking at politics is. I've thought about references in the Bible regarding the government. I've studied how Israel's "government" did things in the Old Testament. I've thought about Jesus' relation to government in the New Testament. And I still feel like I have no answers.
Today I was reading in 2 Chronicles about King Josiah. God made him king when he was 8 years old. At 12 years old, God captured his heart, and at age 20, he began tearing down all the idols and high places in Israel. When he was 26 years old, he repaired the temple and asked to hear the law of the Lord read to him. As he heard it, he tore his clothes in humility, brokenness, and repentance because of how Israel had broken their covenant with the holy God.
That got me to thinking. Thinking and imagining. I imagined first what it would be like if, when the king of Thailand dies (which is most likely imminent), God raised up a young man to be king in his place & captured his heart like He did Josiah's. What if God used him to tear down all the temples and shrines and idols in all of Thailand? What if God spoke of His covenant to him and he related it to the entire nation?
At first, that sounds awesome, right? Like we would want Him to do that in our country as well.
But is that how God has chosen to work since Christ came?
No. He chose His church. He has chosen to use His church to proclaim the gospel and to advance His kingdom. Not a government. Not democracy. Not a political party. Not an elected official. The church.
What are we, as His chosen body, doing about the advancement of His kingdom? Are we being faithful stewards of the gospel He has entrusted to us? Are we trusting in His sovereignty over our government and all "elected" officials, recognizing that He puts them in authority for His purposes?
Just a few thoughts. Would love to hear yours as I try to answer way more questions than I have answers for!
No comments:
Post a Comment