
I read this from one of my sister's books for school called A Theology of Lordship: The Doctrine of God by John Frame. First of all, who writes a book called The Doctrine of God? I mean, that's a pretty huge undertaking, a pretty bold one if you ask me! But props to him! Anyway, this quote is kind of amazing, so I wanted to share it with you:
"Holiness, then, is God's capacity and right to arouse our reverent awe and wonder. It is his uniqueness (Ex. 15:11; 1 Sam. 2:2), his transcendence. It is majesty, for the holy God is like a great king, whom we dare not treat like other persons. Indeed, God's holiness impels us to worship in his presence....Holiness, then is a very rich concept. It speaks of God's transcendence and separation from finite and sinful creatures. But it also speaks of how God draws them to himself, making them holy. Holiness marks God's transcendence, but also his immanence, his presence to redeem us....And both as transcendence and immanence, judgment and salvation, law and gospel, God's holiness drives us to worship him. Yahweh is the Lord who moves us to worship him with reverence and awe (Heb. 12:28)."
I've lost sight of God's holiness; therefore, I've lost my drive to worship Him. I listened to a David Platt sermon today called "Desperate Prayer," and he said that only the Holy Spirit knows the fullness of the glory of God, so in order for us to know even part of God's glory, we have to be desperate for the Spirit. Without desperation for the Spirit of God, we will not grow in our understanding of the glory of God. How, then, do we develop that desperation for the Spirit? It starts with prayer. Do we pray desperately? Do we seek to know God's glory in a desperate way? I think these tough questions tie into the above passage about God's holiness and our worship. I guess I'll end this in saying that I want to know God's glory and His holiness in a much bigger and deeper way, so I'm praying to be more desperate for the Spirit, to be more desperate in prayer, and to be more desperate to worship Him.
No comments:
Post a Comment