Tuesday, October 20, 2009

The Price of a Slave


Zechariah 11:13

"Then the Lord said to me [Zechariah], 'Throw it [thirty shekels of silver from Israel to God] to the potter, that magnificent price at which I was valued by them.' So I took the thirty shekels of silver and threw them to the potter in the house of the Lord." Before we jump on the bandwagon of judging Israel for treating God like crap and Judas for betraying Jesus for the price of a slave, don't we do the same thing in our daily lives? When I first read this verse this morning, I immediately thought of Judas and started judging him and Israel for doing that to God, but then I read it again and felt the weight of guilt in my own life. How often do I throw thirty shekels of silver to God as if He's worth nothing? I exalt myself, pursue my own desires, fill time with what's important to ME while I treat Him as though He's worth nothing. Isaiah 40 talks about us as grasshoppers and the nations as a drop in the bucket. Romans 5:8 reminds us we were enemies of God. Yet even in this state, God gave His life for us. He gave everything for us grasshoppers, us specks of dust. Then we turn around and throw something as worthless as thirty shekels of silver His way? Are you kidding me? God deserves so much more than we could ever give Him! All He wants, though, is our lives and our worship. God, take all of me and turn me into a being who worships you with everything for all of who you are. May you alone be exalted, magnified, glorified in and through my life. May I lift you up so the world can see how much you are truly worth. Don't let me throw thirty pieces of silver at you, but let me constantly give my everything to you and for you and through you because I cannot do it in my own power. Thank you for your grace, Lord, that covers even the worst of sinners like me.

1 comment:

  1. PS--Don't you love God's sarcasm in this verse?! Some say that sarcasm is bad and we shouldn't be sarcastic, which I guess is true in a lot of cases. But since we are to imitate God, and since He's sarcastic...??

    ReplyDelete