"For our struggle is not against flesh and blood, but against the rulers, against the powers, against the world forces of this darkness, against the spiritual forces of wickedness in the heavenly places" (Eph. 6:12).
I've read and memorized this verse and the verses surrounding it about the armor of God a lot in my life, but until this morning, I never thought about them in the context of war. If our struggle is not against flesh and blood, then our struggle is not against Muslim terrorists; it is against the spiritual forces working in and through those people. If that's the case, then us using human resources to defeat a spiritual enemy will not be effective, nor will it further the kingdom of God. Guns, bombs, and missiles will not defeat Satan's work there. Rather, God has given us two weapons with which to defeat the spiritual enemy that we're up against... "And take...the sword of the Spirit, which is the word of God. With all prayer and petition pray at all times in the Spirit, and with this in view, be on the alert with all perseverance and petition for all the saints, and pray on my behalf that utterance may be given to me in the opening of my mouth, to make known with boldness the mystery of the gospel, for which I am an ambassador in chains, that in proclaiming it I may speak boldly, as I ought to speak" (Eph. 6:17-20).
So, we have two weapons (which I'd have to say none of us are using to their full potential, me especially)--the word of God and prayer. If we really want to defeat this enemy (which we call Muslim extremists but is really spiritual evil forces), then we must be sharing the word of God with these people rather than killing them. We must be praying for them and with them. God, replace the military presence in Iraq and Afghanistan with your church. Replace the guns, bombs, and missiles with your word and prayer. Change our perspective on war, and use us as peacemakers that care more about your kingdom than our earthly rights and freedoms. That will lead to true victory.
I love the last part especially!
ReplyDeleteugh that last part IS amazing! gave me the chills just reading it!
ReplyDeletei'm going to write a blog soon (hopefully in the next week) that's kind of less than half way about this...
and i'm BEGGING you....
please stay tuned and tell me your thoughts. because i'm a minority in my fam when it comes to some of my views and i feel like if they knew some of the things i thought that smelled political they would kick me out of the house among other things (not really)...so talkin with other people about stuff is refeshing. thanks.
just read that last part... and got chills again!
ReplyDeleteJohnny, I feel the EXACT same way! If my parents knew how I felt about some of the political issues, I'd probably get kicked out too! Guess it's a good thing we both have other residences for the time being :)
ReplyDelete