Saturday, August 15, 2009

Following Christ and Money

God's been teaching me a lot the last couple years about money and how He views it. Growing up in a family that always stresses financial security and wise investment, I have begun to change my perspective on money in the last couple of years. Where is the fine line between being wise with the money God has entrusted to us (AKA saving) and being radical with it (AKA kingdom living)? I've been asking myself these questions more and more in the last week as I have begun reading Irresistible Revolution by Shaine Claiborne (definitely recommend it!) and since my dad and I hit a deer with my car. My dad's view is to replace my car rather than spending all the money to get it fixed since my car isn't worth much more than it would cost to get it fixed. He sees it as since my car has only about another year left of good driving without taking it to the shop all the time, we might as well make a good investment and get another car, selling mine in its current condition. My view, on the other hand, is filled with questions and confusion. Since when did God entrust me with HIS money to spend on myself on something that I don't need? My car works fine, the side of it is just banged up. Who gives me the right to buy a new car for myself when there are children starving, dying of diseases, being trafficked, living without clean water, being abandoned by their families due to AIDS or a million other things? I should be using that money to reach out to them with the goal of sharing the gospel with them. Shouldn't I? Jesus told the rich young ruler that he had to sell everything he had and give it to the poor. Where's that reckless abandon in my life today? Where is it in the church today? We water down Jesus' words so much to make it fit our comfortable lifestyles. How can we twist this passage to say that we only have to keep from making money our idol? Isn't it our idol anyway if we save it for ourselves rather than giving it away to God's kingdom? I don't know. All I know is I'm happily confused and eager to figure out where I stand on this issue. At the same time, I'm in turmoil over the frustration I'm experiencing in getting my dad to see things from my point of view (or God's point of view!). I definitely do not have a peace about getting a new car. I don't want a new car. I don't want to waste that money on myself when so many others are hurting and dying without knowing Jesus. What would I say when I stood before the throne and give an account of how I used the money He entrusted to me? Please pray for me and my dad. Thanks!

5 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have few words right now because it is sunday and I suck at talking on sundays, but this is awesome! I appreciate your thoughts. And I'm so looking forward to picking up irresistible revolution again with Jen. We're like half way through it. I'm still working through thoughts myself on this kind of thing. Because I totally agree what you said about it being much deeper than just making sure money doesn't become our idol. I'm trying to figure out how to counter that stupid cultural idea that this money I have is mine (haha or at least the very little of it I have), and I'll give 10% of MY money to God, when it's really all God's. Once we abandon this idea though, where do we land? What does it look like to have a godly attitude with every detail having to do with money. I wish it were a simple answer...or even if it wasn't simple but somehow mapped out for us with more detail how that looks. I dunno. Maybe the easiest thing would be to move in and live with shane claiborne for a while and live the way he lives or something. haha but yeah...I'm happily confused too! K i'll stop talking now...i hope you're havin a good time up there. glad to hear how God's working on you. come back soon!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, I'm glad I'm not the only one trying to figure out this issue! I actually had a really good talk with my dad about this today. I can now see it from his perspective, and his perspective does actually make sense from a kingdom standpoint. By investing in a newer car now, I will have more money later when I sell that car to invest in the kingdom, and maybe later is when God will open a specific door for that money to be used. Right now, I have a peace about getting a new car. God's told me to allow my dad to bless me because God has placed the call on his life to take care of his kids. If I don't allow him to do that in the way that he feels the Lord leading him, then I am hindering God's work in and/or through him. I am hampering his ability and desire to carry out the responsibilities God has given him as a father. Still confused about the balance between being wise with the money God's given me and using it for His kingdom. I'm still not sure how the two go together, if they go together at all. My dad made the point that if we don't save some of what He allows us to earn, we don't have anything to give to others or invest in the kingdom. That makes sense to me, but at the same time, that still seems like I'm looking out for myself first--above God's kingdom--and not trusting Him to take care of me. I'll shut up now, but those are my thoughts for today...

    ReplyDelete
  4. ok... I'm here. LOVING your blog. Can you just come live with us for a few weeks... I think we could use all of this questioning! I always saw being good stuarts of your moneys in terms of not spending. And dude we have passed beyond thrifty into the world of down right cheap. We really don't buy that much for ourselves (compared to the rest of America), but we don't spend much on God either. Is it that the money that we could be using for the kingdom is sitting safely in our savings account right now? Or could it be that we are doing the right thing... saving our money so that when we leave the States we can get things going with this money?

    Dude, I dono...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Brittney, that's exactly what I've been wondering! Should my money (well, God's money) be sitting in my savings account not being used for His kingdom right now? Or should it stay there to invest later in the kingdom (like when I go overseas or when a need arises)?

    ReplyDelete