Quotable: Asleep at the wheel
“God is calling and sending, but at our historical height of financial capacity, the Christian church in America is, at best, asleep at the wheel and, at worst, grossly over-concerned with padding our own pews to the detriment of the unreached nations/people groups. As regards Christ's church, ours is not a financial crisis, it is a spiritual one.”
Brian Mimbs, pastor, Chapel Hill Baptist Church, Tallahassee, Fla.
Regarding the verse, thank you, Lord, for the encouragement! I will not let your passion in me die out, despite an unknown future, disapproving people, and "common sense".
Regarding the quote by Brian Mimbs, WOW! He said it right, sadly. God, how long are you going to have mercy on the American church? How long are you going to allow us to disobey you, ignoring the world who is suffering and dying before our eyes while we sit back on our leather couches watching TV, eating potato chips, and complaining about how awful our lives are? Since when do we have the right to complain about a recession? We are the richest people in the world! When did you last go without a meal? When did you last watch your child work 12-14 hour days in the grueling sun with no water just to survive? Wake up, America! Look outside yourselves and see the field which is ripe for harvest. Give up something for someone else. Jesus said to deny ourselves, take up our crosses, and follow Him. He, the Almighty God and Creator of the universe, lowered Himself to become a bondservant and washed the disciples feet and then went to the cross in our place while we were His enemies. I think we can sacrifice a little something for our Lord who did that.
"Then He will also say to those on the left, 'Depart from Me, accursed ones, into the eternal fire which has been prepared for the devil and his angels; for I was hungry, and you gave Me nothing to eat; I was thirsty, and you gave Me nothing to drink; I was a stranger, and you did not invite Me in; naked, and you did not clothe Me; sick, and in prison, and you did not visit Me.' Then they themselves also will answer, 'Lord, when did we see You hungry, or thirsty, or a stranger, or naked, or sick, or in prison, and did not take care of You?' Then He will answer them, 'Truly I say to you, to the extent that you did not do it to one of the least of these, you did not do it to Me. These will go away into eternal punishment, but he righteous into eternal life." --Jesus, Matthew 25:41-46
I think you hit the nail on the head... I think the recession is really America's only hope. We are thankful for it, but really, who's hurting in America (in reality) because of it?
ReplyDelete