Saturday, August 24, 2013

The Arrogance of Elihu (read, me)

I'm still working my way through Job (obviously slowly), and more chapters than not, I've found myself getting irritated at Job for his pity party and at his friends for their arrogant misunderstanding of God. Of course, in that irritation, God has been humbling me, showing me that I'm no different from Job. I throw myself pity parties FAR too often, and over much pettier stuff than Job was facing. I'm also no different than his friends. I too am arrogant and proud and give bad advice based on my own misunderstandings of God.

But then I got to chapter 32, where a new guy shows up. Elihu is his name. He's just as angry (ok, maybe more angry) than I have been at Job and his friends. So, I'm thinking, "Yay! Some light, some hope, some good, biblical advice-- finally!"

Nope.

After ranting and raving about the stupidity and pity parties of Job and his friends, Elihu claims to have God all figured out. Um, can we say, red flag?!

Hope dashed.

This is just another guy we can lump in with all Job's other friends.

Arrogant. Proud.

But not so fast. How different am I from Elihu really? I all too often think I have God all figured out, that I know who He is and how He works and what He wants. My heart is proud and arrogant. It loves to look spiritual and advance a "godly" reputation. The outside of me can look so great sometimes, but my heart-- proud, arrogant, self-seeking, and ugly. In desperate need of a Savior who can cleanse and wash and redeem.

I'm so thankful for Jesus who has come to do that very thing in my heart and in my soul, in the very depths of me! In Him, I can rest confidently, knowing that not only are my sins forgiven, but my God is sovereign and good, and I don't have to have Him all figured out. In fact, I'm really glad that God is not defined by nor does He operate based on our understanding of Him. What kind of God would we have if He operated based on Job and Elihu and his other friends' definitions and understandings of Him? Or my definition and understanding of Him?

God says in Isaiah that we are like mere grasshoppers, specks of dust, a drop from a bucket. Who are we to understand the mind of God? Who are we to define Him or spout off our understanding of Him to others? God, humble me. Humble us. Remind us constantly who you are and who we are in comparison.


No comments:

Post a Comment