Friday, July 12, 2013

Ramadan- probably not the only post about it this month


My Muslim friends, neighbors, and students have been heavy on my heart, leading up to July 10 and now, as Ramadan has begun.

It doesn't seem right that I'm on the other side of the ocean from them during this holiday. But I know I'm where God has me for right now, even though most days, that is hard.

As I reflect back to the previous 2 Ramadans, I remember the most intense spiritual darkness I've ever experienced, and I marvel at God's faithfulness in that. It renews my heart's cry for those who live in that darkness day in and day out to find the hope that is in Christ. It revives a thankfulness in me for the light and the hope that Christ has graciously given me.

But what about my friends and neighbors and students whom I lived life with for 2 years and came to love more than words can say? What do I do about that from an ocean away?

Pray, some may say, and pray I do.

I have to fight the tendency that I have to think that prayer is just a cliche or something you do as a last resort or something that really doesn't have any results. I must remember that prayer is powerful because we serve a powerful God, the all-powerful God, in fact.

So, God, I'm asking for your grace to trust you with those I love so much, who are still lost and in desperate need of you. I ask for grace to believe that you will accomplish your will in bringing your sheep from every nation, tribe, and tongue into your fold. I ask for humility to not think that you need me in Southeast Asia to save my friends there. You are all-powerful and all-sufficient to save. I trust you, and I plead with you for their salvation, that they may be gathered around your throne to worship you for all eternity.

No comments:

Post a Comment