Friday, May 10, 2013

Leaf Blowing

Leaf blowing.

It's hard for me to think of a more pointless job. Every morning, either at my apartment complex or at the coffee shop I work at, I watch men blow stuff from one place to another in the parking lot, only to find all of it in the place they blew it from the following day.

As I was watching a man leaf blowing around the apartment yesterday, I commented to my roommate that that job had to be one of the worst ways to spend your time and that I hoped God would never place me in a job like that.

Then this morning, as the leaf blower was running directly below my apartment, God brought to mind John Piper's book, Don't Waste Your Life, and asked me how similarly my life resembles leaf blowing.

Not a fun question to wake up to, but one I seriously need to contemplate.

What do I spend my time doing? Who am I investing in? Am I constantly looking for opportunities to share? Am I constantly reorienting my life to create intentional avenues in which I can share the gospel?

Because otherwise, I'm just wasting my life. Just like the leaf blower.

God, show me what needs to change in my life to place me in people's lives who need the gospel. I don't want to waste this life you've entrusted me with, nor do I want to throw aside the gospel which you've entrusted me with as if it's meaningless to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment