Saturday, September 1, 2012

The Church: Part 2



The other morning I read Eph 2. Paul gives an illustration of the church being a building. I started thinking about all the ins and outs of that illustration. It says that the apostles and the prophets are the foundation, so essentially, God's Word is the foundation. Jesus is the cornerstone, the One who sets the whole building to be square and level AKA the most important part of the building. God is the Builder, which means He chooses and places each stone-- exactly where He wants it. Each stone then is in a different position/place than any other stone, which means that each stone has a little bit different perspective than any other. Every stone is built on the Word and oriented on Christ and placed by God, but each one sees everything a little bit differently. Think of a stone on the east wall of a building versus a stone on the west wall of the building. The one on the east wall sees the sun rise every morning, while it has no idea that the sun sets on the opposite side of it every evening. Communication in  the context of love and in pursuit of unity, then, among the stones of the building is vital. 

The more I've thought about this picture, the more in awe I am of God. And I think it helps me a tiny bit more understand and appreciate the church. Where God has placed me, especially over the last 2 years but in general as well, gives me a different perspective than many other stones in the building. But that doesn't mean my perspective is any better or any more valuable than any other stone's place or perspective. God, continually humble me to see your church the way you do and to see myself the way you do. May I boast only in you because you are the Builder who has chosen and placed your stones into your building for your glory.

No comments:

Post a Comment