Wednesday, February 12, 2014

Only that in every way, Christ is proclaimed

Has it really been 2 1/2 months since I blogged last? Man! I've had a lot of posts run through my head in the last 10 weeks, but clearly, my life has been filled with a lack of discipline because none of them have made it to paper. But this one will, not because I'm cool or because I'm good at doing this kind of thing but because the Lord met me this morning in His Word in a way that was

mind-blowing
freeing
convicting
challenging
exciting
beautiful
heavy
and filled with passion all at the same time.

I've been reading through Philippians 1 lately because we are about to start that letter in our worship gatherings on Sundays. Largely because one of my friends is somewhat obsessed with Philippians (all said in love, of course!), I studied it quite a bit in college and even memorized large portions of it, but it's been awhile, a long while, since I've opened it for much study since. All that to say, I'm excited!

I've always read chapter 1 in chunks, in which I don't make connections or recognize the flow of Paul's letter- something I've been realizing that I do on a regular basis with God's Word, forgetting that it's one continuous story of His redemption of His people! Today, though, He gave me eyes to see how this chapter of Paul's letter goes together.

First, Paul reminds them of their identity in Christ- bond slaves and saints. He then assures them of the confidence they can have in Christ that He will complete the work He has begun in them. He prays that their love will grow and reminds them of their sure standing before the Father because Christ has given them His righteousness and will present them as sincere and blameless on the day of Christ. Jesus has solved our greatest problem- sin against a holy and wrathful God- and He has given us absolute, sure, confident standing before the Father because He has clothed us in HIS perfect righteousness!

Ok, so, in light of that beginning, Paul then talks about his current suffering- he was in jail for sharing the gospel. We're all thinking, "Ya, surprise, surprise. Wasn't Paul always in jail?" It's true, he was in prison a lot, but why? It wasn't because he was some super Christian. He was living the NORMAL Christian life. What's the normal Christian life, then?

"Only that in every way...Christ is proclaimed" (v. 18).

Christ is proclaimed.

That's all that mattered to Paul. And isn't that all that should matter to me?

But is it all that matters to me?

If I'm honest even for a second, no.

What else matters to me? My comfort. My plans/dreams. My desires. My relationships. My community.

Hear some selfishness in that? It all starts with MY.

Galatians 2:20 says, "I have been crucified with Christ; and it is no longer I who live, but Christ lives in me; and the life which I now live, I love by faith in the Son of God who loved me and gave Himself up for me."

It is no longer I who live but Christ lives in me. I've been bought with a price. I'm no longer my own. Paul got that. He said, "For to me, to live is Christ and to die is gain" (v.21). He had hope "that I will not be put to shame in anything, but that with all boldness, Christ will even now, as always be exalted in my body, whether by life or by death" (v. 20).

Why did Paul seemingly care so little about his life here on earth?

Because he had absolute confidence in the One who had dressed him in perfect righteousness and given him right standing before God, so whether he lived or died, he was good with God. That, then freed him up to risk everything for the sake of the gospel, for the sake of Christ.

"Only that in every way...Christ is proclaimed."

I want to live my life like that!!!! In every relationship, in every conversation, in every breath, may Christ be proclaimed! I have a LOOOONG way to go in that, but I'm thankful and excited that He who began a good work in me is carrying it onto completion, which means He isn't giving up on me but is growing me in making my life all about Christ and His gospel.

And more good news with that? We don't do this alone but are meant to do it in community! Paul admonished the church at Philippi to stand "firm in one spirit, with one mind, striving together for the faith of the gospel" (v.27). That is my prayer for my local church, that we will be united together, not just to center on Christ and exalt Christ but to PROCLAIM Christ in every way, in every conversation, in every breath. God, give us grace to do so!

No comments:

Post a Comment