In reading through Nehemiah, God pointed out some things that apply to His church today. Things that humble me. Things that challenge me. May they continue to change my perspective of the church and my love for the church. And may they do the same for you as well.
As the Israelites rebuilt the wall around Jerusalem, they each had their part of the wall that they worked on. They probably had their own unique tools and their own unique methods of building their portion of the wall, yet they were all united in the common goal of building the entire wall. They had the same ultimate purpose.
Isn't that a lot like the church? Paul says we are all different members a part of the same body. He says God has uniquely gifted each of us but He has united us in Christ. Each of us have a piece of the wall to build, in a sense. A piece of His kingdom that He's choosing to use us to build. Humbling, right? He also has given us all the skills and passions needed for building our portion of the wall.
That means that the tools I'm using and the methods I'm using may look different from the person next to me, working on the adjoining part of the wall. But that's okay because we're united in Christ, working toward the common goal of extending Christ's name to the nations. We're united in Christ, working toward the ultimate purpose of declaring HIs glory to all nations.
Although I may not understand of agree with the tools and methods used by much of the church in America, I have a lot to learn about how to effectively engage Americans with the gospel, and I would do well to watch and listen and learn from the church who has been here, engaging people with the gospel. I would do well to observe the tools and methods used. And I may still disagree or see different tools and methods that God has given me, but at the end of the day, I must remember that we are united in Christ, all working toward the same goal of exalting Him as King and Lord of all creation. God, give me grace to be a humble learner and to use the tools and methods you've given me to build the portion of the wall you've entrusted to me.
No comments:
Post a Comment