Saturday, March 10, 2012

When Dreams Die

In about 10 hours, my little sister will stand at the altar before God to be married. This is so hard for me to believe.

When dreams die...

Dreams like...

designing wedding invitations
picking out colors and flowers
planning a bridal shower
hanging out with her friends while planning a bachelorette party
standing beside her as her maid of honor
watching my dad walk her down the aisle with a tear of joy in his eye
being proud of the woman she's become and being excited to see the wife she would become
whisking her off on her honeymoon, ecstatic for the new marriage to come

All of those dreams and more are dead now. So what do I do about that?

The Lord led me to some verses tonight...

"I praise God for what He has promised; yes, I praise the Lord for what He has promised" (Ps 56:10).

"My heart is confident in you, O God; my heart is confident. No wonder I can sing your praises" (Ps 57:7).

Trying to trust in His sovereignty, cling to His promise of redemption, hold onto the hope that He will be glorified and exalted in all of this, and hide in His strong arms of love and refuge and comfort and security.

Abba, although I can't be there for my sister's wedding, you are there. Will you move and work and be there in far greater ways than I could ever ask for or imagine?

"Cease striving and know that I am God; I will be exalted among the nations, I will be exalted in the earth. The Lord of hosts is with us; the God of Jacob is our stronghold" (Ps 46:10-11).

Lord, steady my heart.

2 comments:

  1. this is so sweet... since i don't have a sister i've never thought about any of this, but i can see how heart wrenching it must be for you. praying...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've been reading One Thousand Gifts by Ann Voskamp, and she is helping change my heart... to being Thankful {!!!} At All Times. Even when I am disappointed when the plans God has for me are not the same as the plans that I have. Powerful Book. love & prayers
    : )

    ReplyDelete