Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Passion Conference

This is from session 5 of the Passion Conference. John Piper spoke. These are my fragmented, insufficient notes:

Do you feel more loved by G0d because He makes much of you or because He enables you through Christ to enjoy making much of Him?

We need to move self as the foundation of our joy and let G0d be the foundation of our joy. That will change the answer to the first question. What is the motivation I do anything I do? If I keep asking that question, eventually I'll get to the bottom, and at the bottom, there will be one of two things--self or God. Do I enjoy worsh*ping G0d because at the bottom, He's committed to making much of me? That's idolatry of the worst kind. Or do I enjoy God making much of me because it shows me the kind of God that He is, allows me to treasure Him for who He is, and allows me to make much of Him?

2 Cor 5:14-15 who am I living for?
Eph 1:5 He saved me so I would make much of His grace for the rest of eternity
Jn 17:24 this is why Je*us pr*ys for us

How G0d makes much of me for the purpose of making much of Himself:

1. By being pleased with us
The Weight of Gl0ry by CS Lewis. Lewis believed the weight of glory, the burden of glory that we bear is to please G0d and to be delighted in by Him, to hear those words "well done good and faithful servant"

2. By making us fellow heirs with His Son who owns everything (1 Cor 3:21, Rom 8:16-17)

3. By having us sit at His table and have Him serve us (Luke 12:37)

4. By letting us carry out the judgment of angels (didn't catch the verse for this one)

5. By making us His treasured possession (Zeph 3:17)

6. By making our righteousness shine like the sun--too bright to look at! (didn't catch this verse either, but I wanna say it's in Isa)

7. By granting us to sit with Christ on His throne (Rev 3:21)

All of these should thrill my soul because it reveals more of God and equips me to love Him, treasure Him, and worship Him more, and to make much of Him.

God's love for me in such a way that makes Him my supreme treasure is a greater love than if He made me my supreme treasure because He knows that self can never satisfy the emptiness at the bottom of my life that is only meant to be filled by Him.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for the challenge, Kim. :) At our core, are we going to give in to self gratification or glorification of Him, for Him...with nothing in return? CHALLENGING!

    ReplyDelete